Sunday, October 30, 2011

Ditch the Stress

Thought I'd put up some ways that I like to de-stress... for your benefit.  Which ones are your favorites?

  1. Take a nap:  One of my favorites - I love to take an impromptu 10-15 snooze right after some heavy work.  If necessary (and if I have time) I might extend it to a half hour.  Want more proof that it is GOOD for you? http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/story?id=2831235
  2. Go for a run (or walk):  Love this one too.  I stick my iPod in my ears and day dream as I run.  Gets me away from reality for a while and the steady thumping of my feet is really relaxing.  The fresh air is really, well, refreshing and the blood flow increases oxygen to your brain.  Voila - a new and energetic you.  http://www.aarp.org/health/fitness/info-09-2010/martina_easiest_exercise_walking.html
  3. Do a jigsaw puzzle:  OK, I know that not everyone is cut out for this kind of thing, but what I am trying to say is do something that is sort of mindless.  Keep your mind off of what "needs" to be done and focus completely on something else.  For me, jigsaws do this.  When going back to work afterwards, I have a totally fresh mind to start again with.  Anything that requires total attention will substitute for this.
  4. Take a shower:  Yes, even if you just took one that morning.  I actually feel like I can be more productive with a clean body.  It is like working on a groggy day as opposed to a sunny day.  When the sun shines, everything just seems a lot better.  Taking a hot shower refreshes my mind and I just feel better, which in turn, helps me get rid of stress!
  5. Switch it up:  I hate doing things for a long period of time because after a long period, I tend to get distracted.  For example, right now, I was doing some work and I took a break to write this post.  It's something I like to do.  Keep track of the time you have been working and treat yourself every hour or two, even if it is just a tiny stretch break to chat with someone or to go and have a bite to sustain yourself for the next stretch.  
So basically, with all of these: Give your mind rest time.  Make it a point to do so and hopefully you should feel a lot more relaxed and stress-less!

No comments:

Post a Comment